More and more New Jersey households are installing carbon monoxide (CO) alarms as protection against this invisible hazard. CO is a gas that is undetectable by human senses yet it can cause health problems, brain damage, and even death. When concentrations of the gas build-up, flu-like symptoms may develop, especially among younger and older individuals who are less tolerant of this poison. If your carbon monoxide alarm activates:
- Gather all family members together in a predetermined meeting place and check to be sure everyone is present.
- Call 911. Leave the building immediately. Do not reenter until responders say it is safe to do so.
What Carbon Monoxide (CO) Is
- CO is a product of incomplete combustion.
- CO is invisible. There will be no smoke or haze to betray its presence.
- CO is odorless.
- CO is deadly.
- CO is the symbol for carbon monoxide.