Tenafly Borough Hall, 100 Riveredge Road, Tenafly, NJ 07670    201-568-6100    HOURS: Mon-Fri 8:30am - 4:30pm

Know what to do if your carbon monoxide alarm goes off

More and more New Jersey households are installing carbon monoxide (CO) alarms as protection against this invisible hazard. CO is a gas that is undetectable by human senses yet it can cause health problems, brain damage and even death. When concentrations of the gas build up, flu-like symptoms may develop, especially among younger and older individuals who are less tolerant of this poison. If your carbon monoxide alarm activates:
  • Gather all family members together in a predetermined meeting place and check to be sure everyone is present.
  • Call 9-1-1. Leave the building immediately. Do not reenter until responders say it is safe to do so.
Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion. Carbon monoxide is invisible. There will be no smoke or haze to betray its presence. Carbon monoxide is odorless. Carbon monoxide is deadly. CO is the symbol for carbon monoxide.