The Access for All Committee was established by the Mayor and Council to consider and provide advice and counsel to the governing body as to the concerns of disabled persons, barrier-free facilities, employment practices and specific compliance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
In 1998, the Committee assisted Borough officials in the preparation of a Self Evaluation and Transition Plan in order for the Borough of Tenafly to satisfy the requirements of the federal regulations implementing Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans With Disabilities Act for municipal government facilities. The Plan was prepared after a review of all municipal facilities. The Committee is in the process of reviewing and updating the Plan.
Accomplishments from the Committee
The Committee has worked with the Mayor and Council to improve accessibility throughout the Borough. Among the accomplishments are the following:
- Construction of East Plaza sidewalk and ramp to Library
- Construction of handicap restrooms at the Tenafly Senior Center
- Construction of sidewalk ramps at various intersections throughout the municipality
- Installation of automatic opening doors at Borough Hall and the Public Library
- Purchase of a self-contained handicap restroom facility for the Tenafly Nature Center