Marriage License Application

Procedure for Obtaining a Marriage or Civil Union License

This should be done no more than 30 days before and no less than 72 hours before the ceremony.

BY APPOINTMENT ONLY Telephone Registrar at (201) 568-6100 ext. 5542

Residential Requirements

The Marriage or Civil Union license shall be issued by the licensing officer in the municipality in which either party resides and is valid in any municipality in the State of New Jersey. 

If neither are RESIDENTS of New Jersey, the application is to be made in the MUNICIPALITY WHERE THE PROPOSED MARRIAGE OR CIVIL UNION IS TO BE PERFORMED. 

Required documents when applying for a marriage/civil union license 

  1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D. 
  2. Proof of your residency. 
  3. Your social security card or social security number.* 
  4. A witness, 18 years of age or older.
  5. The $28 application fee. (two money orders or two checks one for $25.00 and $3.00 payable to Borough of Tenafly)                                                                                                     *Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential. Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Requested additional documents (these documents are helpful but not required)

  1. A copy of your birth certificate to establish your parents’ names and related birth information. 
  2. If you are divorced, have had a previous civil union dissolved, domestic partnership terminated or have had a civil union annulled, please bring the decree(s) or the civil annulment documents. 
  3. If your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased, please bring the death certificate. 

Marriage application form